Tuesday, January 10, 2012

BLOGyear: day ten, a day with Alexander.

The Met, mid July 2011.

On a beautiful Sunday morning, after walking down 5th Avenue, I jumped into line for the most amazing exhibition I have been in the presence of so far in my life. 

I don't read Vogue every month just for the fun of it. I read it because Anna Wintour is the most incredible Editor in fashion history. I read it because, if you look past the advertisements, and the insanely expensive clothing, you see incredible stories. 
Vogue is where I was first introduced to Mr. Alexander McQueen.

Here are some of the pieces I was able to see in person.
 Maybe you'll think they are silly, stupid, or strange. But maybe, just maybe, you'll look past that, and see the genius, the creativity, and the heart that went into making these dreams a reality. 
{the top half was made out of medical slides that were painted red}
"I want to be the purveyor of a certain silhouette or a way of cutting, so that when I'm dead and gone, people will know that the twenty-first century was started by Alexander McQueen." -Alexander McQueen

This exhibition is not the norm, but neither was the man that created it. I don't love fashion simply because I like to pick out things to wear, and try different combinations. I love fashion because of the time that is taken to select a certain fabric, the way in which the fabric or material is draped, sown, and cared for. Clothes aren't just clothes, they are ways to be whomever you want to be. 

Dreams. Creativity. Inspiration. 
These are all things that make art possible. 

So the next time you see some outrageous price on something and you go to shake your head. Don't shake it because it pisses you off that you can't purchase it, cause hell, I will never be able to purchase it. But stop for a moment, and think of how much time, and love someone put into designing that coat, or that purse, or even a simple pair of sunnies. 

Art is all around you. In the clothes you wear, the music you listen to, the pictures on your walls.

Art will always be something that is near and dear to my heart, why couldn't it be that way for you too?

tk.













No comments:

Post a Comment